Hatch Detroit today announced the top four finalists in the 2012 Comerica Hatch Detroit contest following significant online public voting. More than 30,000 total votes were cast in one week of voting to narrow down the top 10 to the top four. The winner of the 2012 Comerica Hatch Detroit contest will be awarded $50,000 from Comerica Bank.
The four finalists in Detroit Hatch’s 2012 competition are:
· Detroit River Sports – Kayak rentals to city-goers, offering tours through the canal districts of Belle Isle, Downtown and other parts of the city.
· Detroit Vegan Soul Café – Vegan food with a soul twist, currently operating as a catering and food delivery business, looking to open a store in Midtown.
· La Feria – A wine bar featuring authentic Spanish tapas in a relaxed, yet upbeat setting, looking to open in Midtown.
· Rock City Pies – A handmade pie company specializing in unique combinations such as Salty Apple Carmel Pie and Blueberry-Custard Pie, looking to open in Midtown.
The Comerica Hatch Detroit winner will be selected by:
· Online voting at www.hatchdetroit.com Monday, Sept. 24 until Thursday, Sept. 27
· The outcome of a public Hatch Off event on Wednesday, Sept. 26
· Winner will be announced Thursday, Sept.27 at 5:00p.m.
Full biographies of each company are available at www.hatchdetroit.com.
The Hatch Off event is slated for 6 – 9 p.m., Sept. 26 at the Majestic Theatre in Detroit. The top four finalists will have one last opportunity to share the merits of their business plans with the public and a panel of judges prior to the final selection for final online voting.
Public tickets for the 2012 Comerica Hatch Detroit Contest “Hatch Off” are $50 and are available online at 2012 Comerica Hatch Detroit Contest “Hatch Off”.
“The response for the first round of voting blew us away,” said Nick Gorga, co-founder of Hatch Detroit. “The Top 10 worked hard to secure as many votes as possible and it came down to the wire for the top four. We are excited for the top four to showcase what they have to offer at the Hatch Off on September 26.”
“The contest has created a positive buzz around the city, and I’m thrilled to see the exposure these 10 businesses have gained from the contest,” said Lori Mazurek, vice president, Business Banking for Comerica Bank. “It’s great to see the community support the retail revitalization of Detroit, as these businesses will make Detroit an even better place to live and work. I’m hopeful they’ll all move forward with their plans to open in Detroit.”
The winner of the 2012 Comerica Hatch Detroit contest will be awarded $50,000 from Comerica Bank as well as a number of in kind prizes.
Hatch Detroit is a Michigan-based 501(c)(3) organization that champions and supports independent retail businesses in Detroit through funding contests, education, exposure, and mentoring. Hatch Detroit was co-founded by Nick Gorga and Ted Balowski, metro Detroit natives who are passionate about the revitalization of the city and inspiring others in the community to create change.
Comerica Bank, with 218 banking centers in Michigan, is a subsidiary of Comerica Incorporated. Comerica made a $17 million investment in Detroit with the renovation of its building at 411 W. Lafayette, which has been renamed Comerica Bank Center and is now the bank’s Michigan Market headquarters. Comerica Incorporated (NYSE: CMA) is a financial services company strategically aligned by three business segments: The Business Bank, The Retail Bank, and Wealth Management. Comerica focuses on relationships, and helping people and businesses be successful. To find Comerica on Facebook, please visit www.facebook.com/ComericaCares. Follow Comerica on Twitter at @ComericaCares.